Welcome to Mountain Edibles

I have been wandering the mountains of Utah as an amateur botanist for many years, and I am now trying to share some of what I have learned with those around me. I am a user of many edible and medicinal plants, and I believe the edible plants are the least known area of my expertise. This blog is a way to increase the popular knowledge of edible plants.

I also do plant walks to teach about edible and medicinal plants in person. If you are in the Northern Utah area, and are interested in arranging such a presentation, you can contact me using the contact form at the bottom of the page.

Thank you for coming.

Monday, July 3, 2023

Galium aparine

Galium aparine
leaves and stems

Galium species are commonly known as Cleavers or Bedstraw, and sometimes as Catchweed or even Sticky-willy. They have small hooked hairs which catch on to other things as well as itself, similar to velcro. Aside from its propensity to hitchhike, the next most noticeable feature is the whorled leaves. There are usually six leaves growing from a single spot on the stem, in a whorl evenly spaced around the stem. Galium aparine usually has six leaves in each whorl, but can often have more or less, and other species can vary as well. The flowers are tiny, white, with four petals. And the fruit are distinctive because they grow in pairs and look like tiny hairy balls.

All species of Galium are edible, although the hooked hairs can be distracting, especially on the lips. When picked in the spring, when they are tender, they are fairly good tasting. The hairs do not really encourage one to eat a lot of them however. 

Many people recommend using them as a pot-herb, so I tried boiling a bunch in water for 5 minutes. The flavor is fairly bland, but good. Unfortunately, the stems are rather tough. I harvested mine by grabbing a bunch and pulling the top parts off. This method is efficient for picking a lot, but seems to get too much of the tough stems. It would be better strip the leaves from the stems, or just pick the very uppermost part of the plant where the stem is still tender. After boiling, the leaves end up quite mushy, while the stems are still tough. I did not notice the hairs after cooking, but some others who tried said they did. I know that people who use this as a pot-herb, usually mix it in with a lot of other pot-herbs, rather than eating it alone.

Because it has many medicinal uses, I saved the water it was boiled in, so I could try the tea made from it. Galium tea has a rich, hearty flavor, and the tea is definitely my favorite way to enjoy this plant. It's flavor makes a fine addition to soups and sauces. 

The medicinal uses of cleavers include using it as a poultice for wounds and skin health. It is diuretic and antioxidant, so it helps clean out the body, including the lymphatic system. It has even been used to treat cancer. So enjoy the tea. It will help you in lots of ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment